Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bummer!

Hey Everyone!

I am SO BUMMED out! I missed the public debut of Coco y Cacao, but don't worry, I'm still in the running. Still, I feel like I totally dropped the ball on this one when I discovered that they already held the tasting promotion in SF back on July 14! Could the test locations bode well for Coco y Cacao?


I think that was the day after I first discovered the new "webisodes". I was even in the City that day.

I knew the were holding out on me! I suppose they didn't want me to influence the vote. And you know I would have called on the Coco y Cacao Nation to descend upon SF Center. Aaargh! And you know how "uni-motional" I am. I'm really upset that I didn't do the Google search earlier. It's like showing up for the championship game and forgetting your freakin' sneakers.

Oh well, now when I win I can say it was legitimate. Another interesting find on that page is the actual date of the flavor launch -- September 21, 2007 on Good Morning America. Hmmm, I'll be basking on the beach in Tulum, Mexico or else exploring Chichen Itza. Guess they'll just have to fly me to New York direct from Mexico. It would be fitting, eh? I could say I was exploring Mexico for ingredients: chocolate from the ancient Mayans and Aztec spices. Oh, and apologies to any cultural groups I may have offended with my choice of names. I have no idea if there is such a thing as Aztec chocolate. I just needed a different name; Mexican chocolate is so common, and chocolate originated with the Mayans. So Aztec sounded good for the heat of pepper.


Some other intersting things I found on this latest Google search:
Someone's Xanga blog saying I have a look-a-like out there. And her blog has a link to a SlashFood posting about last year's (2006) Scoop contest. I find it interesting that two of last year's flavors are similar to this year: Caramelized Fig and Walnuts (2006) vs. Caramelized Pear and Toasted Pecan (2007); and of course Toasted Coconut Sesame Brittle (2006) vs Coco y Cacao (2007). I don't think Leslie knew about last year's flavors, and I certainly did not. Actually, had we known, we probably wouldn't have chosen our respective flavors. I'd guess this is especially true for Leslie; I mean even the name is similar. Note to next year's entrants: pick a caramelized fruit with some nut, or else go with a tropical theme. Ha ha!

I searched SlashFood for "haagen dazs" and came across this posting:
http://www.slashfood.com/2007/03/14/does-haagen-dazs-newest-flavor-sound-familiar/
which points out something I had noticed: that they made no mention of the creator of the flavor. I thought the whole bit about Thailand was made up, too, but found out Thailand was an inspiration for the inventor, Amber Antonelli (she posted a follow up comment). Cool thing is, she also won the prize money.

I'm unaware of any monetary prize for this year's contest, but if they turn a runner-up flavor into a regular product, maybe they'll at least mention the inventor this time.


2 comments:

little miss possible said...

haha I wouldn't have thought my blog was so well liked by Google until now. good luck with the contest! are there any more opportunities to taste the competing flavors around the bay area?

little miss possible said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.